top of page


register to vote

Register to vote (if you are not already on the electoral register) – and also encourage all your remain-supporting friends, relatives and work colleagues to register. 

In order to be able to vote in the general election on December 12, they must register before midnight on Tuesday, November 26 (however best not to leave it to the very last moment!).

Most people who live in the UK (including many people who are not British citizens [please see below]) are allowed to vote in general elections (including the one being held on Thursday, December 12) – so please don't forget to put yourself on the electoral register as soon as possible, if you are not already on it.

If you are not sure whether you are registered, you can very easily find out (It usually takes just a couple of minutes):


If you live in Hillingdon borough

Ring that council's electoral services unit call 01895 250 251 to find out, or look here for more details.


If you live in Harrow borough

Ring that council's electoral services unit: call 020 8901 2660 or click here


If you live anywhere else

Find out how to contact your local electoral services unit here


If you are not yet registered

Register by clicking here


After you have registered

You will be able to vote in this general election if you are a British, Irish, Cypriot, Maltese or qualifying Commonwealth citizen. A 'qualifying Commonwealth citizen' is a citizen of a Commonwealth or former Commonwealth nation who has leave to remain in the UK or who does not require such leave.


There are 54 such countries – including Australia, Canada, Malaysia, India, Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa, Mozambique, Cameroon, Ghana (and many other African countries), Jamaica, Barbados (and many other Caribbean countries) and several other nations. 


For the full list, please look at this website.


Citizens of British overseas territories (including Gibraltar) and Crown Dependencies (the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands) are also entitled to vote.


British citizens living abroad are also allowed to vote (if they have been registered to vote in the UK at any stage in the past 15 years). They can cast their vote by post – but will need to fill out a postal vote application form.


Alternatively, they can appoint somebody to vote on their behalf and apply for a proxy vote but that will need to be done before Wednesday, December 4, 5PM.


Again, best not to leave it to the last moment - and, remember, you can't be appointed to cast proxy votes by more than two people, unless they are close relatives). Here is more information about voting by proxy.


In order to able to vote in the general election, you also of course need to be aged 18 (or over 18) on polling day (December 12).


Don't forget that, if you happen to live in two different constituencies (for instance at University and at home), you areallowed to register to vote in those two different areas. But of course, you are only allowed to vote in one of them, despite being registered in both. However, it's up to you which constituency you finally opt to vote in.

bottom of page